Sunday, September 8, 2013

Senior Year (an Original Poem)



Senior year has begun, and boy is it overwhelming.

No matter how much someone warns you that life comes at you full speed when you reach senior year, you are never quite ready for it.

Senioritis starts to come into play,

the school work, the boring days at school,

wishing that you could be anywhere else but in that hard cold desk staring at the clock on the wall.

 

Hitting me like a ton of bricks, I begin to imagine my life after high school,

a life without my parent’s right by my side anymore, it’s scary.

I have to provide for myself, I need to pay my own way,

through school and the rest of my life.

 

Scholarships, grants, essays, tests and quizzes, SAT’s and ACT’s, when does it all stop.

Senior events, dances, football games, Prom, and graduation.

My last year of high school.

I want to keep all the friends that I have right now, for the rest of my life,

but who am I kidding; I know that will never happen.

 

It’s the beginning of September, the countdown begins,

276 days left until it’s all over.

Not knowing whether all this stress will be needed or worth it in the end.

Graduation day is surreal,

I just hope that I will remember it all and take it all in with my eyes wide open.

The day that I have to say goodbye to those that I have built my life with.

Please don’t forget me,

I won’t forget you.

 

College decisions are beginning to be made.

I don’t want to make the wrong decision.

How will I know when I made the right one?

Uncertainty kills me.

College scares me.

I’m still a kid, where’s my mom, where’s my dad?

                                                                  

Don’t forget to look for scholarships, my counselor advises me,

apply for them all she said.

Fear fills my body as I think of what I’ll have to do by myself.

Will I make it in college?

I’m afraid to put myself out there anymore then I have to.

I need to begin my life I think to myself.

I’m ready for what the world has to bring

New adventures await us, just past the doors of our oh too familiar high school.

Life awaits us.

 

Senior year, don’t fail me now is all I can think of.

Our lives have just begun.

I prepare myself by looking ahead.

I will not look back, I promise myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment